Friday, February 12, 2010

I put a new bird feeder in my back yard 1 week ago, but have had no birds visit. Why?

I bought this great brass solar bird feeder and hung it on a hook designed for such. It hangs on one side of the yard close to a flower bush. Not one bird has stopped by for lunch. The food I bought is a variety. I can't even get a crow to stop. WHY?I put a new bird feeder in my back yard 1 week ago, but have had no birds visit. Why?
There could be a couple of reasons.


~What type of birds is the food suppose to attract and is it the time of year for those birds to be in your area? Experiment with a few types of bird seed to see what you can attract.


~Is there cats in your area? If the birds knows cats are stalking about, they will not try your bird feeder. One of the most valnurable and likely moments for a predator to capture its prey is while they're feeding


~Does you birdfeeding move rapidly and easily with the wind and/or makes noises?


~Is the feeder near a high traffic area (for people, pets, and/or cars)?


Answering ';yes'; to one or more of these questions means you need to move the feeder, purchase a different one, and/or experiment with different types of food.





Good Luck!I put a new bird feeder in my back yard 1 week ago, but have had no birds visit. Why?
Cause they don't like u
There are several possibilites. First - it takes time for the birds to find a new feeder, especially if they are already accustomed to others. Second, you may have placed it too close to a bush or other plant from which a predator could potentially attack. Even if YOU know they can't get there, the birds may not realize that. I suggest moving it within reach of a sheltering plant like a tree, but not so close that a predator could hide in it. I'm not sure about the ';solar'; part, or what function that would serve, so I can't speak to that. Since it's brass, it's presumably shiny, and that could theoretically put some birds off.
are there any cats around?
Be patient. It takes time and once they know it's there they'll return year after year.





Also, if birds of prey are in the area no little bird will venture near...they're to smart for that.
I have bird feeders all through my backyard. I find that if I don't keep the feeders with food in them all the time that the birds will stop coming by. Now I just was able to get out and get these feeders filled just a week ago and it has taken this long for the birds to start coming back. Once they realize the food is there I will be filling th ese about every other day or so.
give them time; it happens to us too. Once one shows up, they'll come in droves. Birds are heavily networked.





Try putting some seed in a dish/paper plate on the ground - that may help get some attention.
Crows eat meat. Put some roadkill in your feeder to attract crows.
It is probably because they don't know about it yet. But when they figure out that it is there, they will come over, trust me. I know it because I have a bird feeder, too.
Hi there. Birds are now appearing slowly as spring approaches. Inspect the area you live in early in the morning. They may come by very soon and establish a routine. My problem is that my cat is very predatory and the birds now avoid my place! I guess the word is out! Weird,huh? Well, don't give up yet and I'm sure they will discover your feeder. Be sure it is high enough so that the birds feel safe enough to approach it. have a great spring.
wait a while....or chage the position where birds can see and smell it
Hi,





It may take a week or two for birds to locate your feeders. Be sure to keep the seed fresh so that when they find it they will want to come back. It may be better to only put small amounts of seed in your feeders to begin with.





Always use good quality seed such as black-oil sunflower seed.





Good Luck,


John





http://www.a-home-for-wild-birds.com
You will get birds to stop and visit. It will just take time. This summer you won't be able to keep it filled.
Sometimes it takes a little while for the birds to discover there's a feeder there.Be patiant they'll show up eventually

No comments:

Post a Comment