Friday, February 12, 2010

I live in indiapolis, in., when do I take down my humming bird feeder?

You should leave your hummingbird feeder up until you don't see any more hummingbirds...maybe 3 more weeks. Even if 'your' hummingbirds have migrated, there will still be 'stopovers' by other hummingbirds north of you. They need all the energy they can get to make their big trip. Make sure your feeders have fresh nectar in them.I live in indiapolis, in., when do I take down my humming bird feeder?
I live in michigan. In the state of michigan bird checklist it requires documentation when you see a ruby throated hummingbird after October 16 so I'm sure you safe to take yours down at the end of October or so. Enjoy your bird watching!I live in indiapolis, in., when do I take down my humming bird feeder?
Hello,





There's no set time as a few hummingbirds have been known to winter in North America in the most unlikely places. You could take you feeders inside by the time your area gets temperatures which would keep the food frozen.





Otherwise, why not try leaving it available in case some stragglers happen by? You never know who you might see!





In Richmond, VA (where I used to live), there were two over-wintering hummingbirds documented in that area during 2004 and 2005. Nicknamed the ';dryer birds'; because each took up a roost near the dryer vent at two suburban homes, they both successfully wintered and survived the cold by staying mostly in the yard and eating from the feeders provided by their (enthusiastic) hosts.
  • Fish
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment