Sunday, February 7, 2010

How do I keep racoons from getting in the bird feeder? It is on a metal pole and they still go up?

Shoot them!!! or put a pvc plastic pipe around the pipe, to slippery for them to climb..... or put one of those metal funnel looking things on the pipe as well!!! that way they cant get all the way up!!!How do I keep racoons from getting in the bird feeder? It is on a metal pole and they still go up?
I just put some of the seed and cracked corn on the ground when I fill my feeder. The racoons eat what is on the ground and do not destroy my feeder. I do not recommend feeding them large amounts or putting out dog food. They are wild animals and very mischievious. You do not want to encourage them to dine at your house or depend on you feeding them, or soon you will have dozens every night. Racoons are known to tear up gardens and planters, they can open simple cupboards and latches to eat seed corn or anything stored inside. They are also possible sourses of diseases for your pets. You can try the metal baffles that fit on the pole but I have seen Racoons figure out ways around them. Another option is taking your birdfeeders down at night and putting them back up in the morning. If you did this for a week or so whenever they have been visiting it might break the habit of them coming to your house for dinner. Good luck!How do I keep racoons from getting in the bird feeder? It is on a metal pole and they still go up?
My father had the same problem. He put a black PVC pipe over his metal pole. It was about 6 ft. high and about a 3 inch diameter. It was too slippery for the raccoons to climb. Worked great for him!
Well just start feeding them some Dog or Cat food once they get there fill they will not go after the small stuff. I feed one every night and he has become real friendly with me and my cat.
Hang the feeder on a wire strung between two poles. If you put baffles on the wires this will even defeat squirrels.
Put vaseline on the pole.

No comments:

Post a Comment